Upper Back Stretch
Feeling the tension in your neck and shoulders? Do you suffer from upper back pain?
Decreased mobility through the ribs and thoracic spine can cause tightness and stiffness in the upper back, chest and neck. Here is a simple exercise you can do at home to help improve mobility and reduce tension through these areas:
– Lie on your side with your head supported on a pillow and your knees bent between 90 and 120 degrees.
– Reach your arms out in front of you, with your hands together.
– Rotate the upper arm upwards and outwards (in a windmill type action).
– Try to rotate as far as you can, without any pain through the shoulder and ribs.
– Take 2 breathes and return to starting position. Repeat 10-15 each side in the morning.
– For an extra stretch, you can drop your top knee off your bottom knee and closer to the floor.